You may have heard of the term Alkalising but not 100 percent clear on what it exactly means. Let us give you an example. If there was a green murky pool would you swim in it? For most people, the answer is absolutely NOT. A green murky pool is an acidic pool and the pH is imbalanced. This is the same for our bodies. When we eat acidic foods, we expose our body to toxins and stress. Our pH becomes imbalanced and acidosis forms.
All foods are either acidic or alkaline, toxins and stress are acidic. When we are exposed to acidosis, our bodies have a higher risk of developing illness, disease and cancer.
The western diet is very acidic. Meat, dairy, alcohol, refined foods, gluten, packaged and convenience style foods are all very acidic. If we live a mostly acidic lifestyle, we are putting our health at risk.
How can you become more Alkaline?
• Multi-strain probiotics either in capsule form or fermented foods
• Green grasses such as a supergreen mix
• Greens especially green vegetables, chlorella and wheatgrass, plus fibrous cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, alfa-alfa, etc.
• Vegetables and natural herbs, such as aubergine, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, parsnip, cauliflower, celery, chard, chicory, chive, cucumber, dandelion, dill, endive, fennel, green bean, kale, kelp, lettuce, mushroom, peppers, potato, radish, sorrel, soy bean, spinach, squash, turnip and watercress
• Whole grains and seeds
• Almonds (all other nuts are acidic)
• Organic cold pressed flaxseed and olive oil
• Sunshine and vitamin D
• Ginger, natural willow bark, garlic, onions, apples, curcumin/turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg
• Virtually all fresh fruits, especially apples, apricots, avocadoes, blackberries, blackcurrants, cherries, cranberries, raisins, dates, figs, grapes, lemons, limes, lychees, mangoes, melon, olives, oregano, papayas, peaches, pears, raspberries and redcurrants
• Raw honey, especially manuka; raw molasses
• Medicinal mushrooms
• Exercise, yoga, meditation
• Sodium bicarbonate
• Apple cider vinegar (raw organic), fresh lemon or lime juice
Keep Acidic factors to a minimum:
• Meat, especially mass-market fatty red meat
• Fruits and vegetables picked unripe and shipped a long way
• Shell fish, especially prawns, crab and scallops
• Processed, prepared, canned foods – because of the sodium chloride content
• Dried meat, ham, sausage, bacon – because of the sodium chloride content
• Chinese foods because of the MSG content
• All refined carbohydrate products: pasta, white bread, white rice, pies, pastries, cakes, noodles, refined breakfast cereals, doughnuts, dumplings
• Salted snacks, crisps, peanuts
• All cows dairy
• Fizzy sweet drinks
• Prepared fruit juices and smoothies (high sugar, processed)
• Caffeine – stimulates liver to release glucose into blood stream (even diet drinks!)
• Preservatives, jams etc.
• Pickled products
• Alcohol, especially beers and spirits
• Lack of sleep
• Stress, negative emotions, guilt
At The Real Food Revolution, we recommend 80/20 lifestyle which equates to 80 percent alkaline and 20 percent acidic. To maintain this, try adding as many greens into your eating patterns, get adequate sleep, manage stress, eat whole, raw and nourishing foods and keep away from toxins and acidifying foods.
To help you learn more about Alkalising, we have The Alkaline Warriors, Sandra Kimler, Amanda Brockett, Kisane Appleby and Kristie Ord to speak about this at The Real Food Revolution events.